Title: Business Analyst
• To develop and maintain core department reports, deliverables, systems, processes and methodologies in order to provide accurate and actionable information to organizational decision-makers.
• To serve as project leader on the planning, design, and creation of complex datasets, data extracts, analyses, and key recommendations for implementation that will provide customers with a comprehensive understanding of the issue being studied and actionable insights on improvement opportunities.
• To provide data analysis, interpretation, and consultation to maximize the use of HealthPartners care delivery operational data (such as order, appointment, schedule, and claims data) in order to support needs of operational leadership, executive management as well as clinician leadership.
• Guide Patient Access team members on various projects including planning and designing efficient and sustainable data extraction models, layouts, visualizations, analyses, interpretation, and presentation of information.
• Guide Patient Access team members on how workflow changes will impact the integrity of the data.
• Lead projects within the department coordinating the efforts of multiple team members balancing priority and scope with time and resources available.
• Provide appropriate written and verbal communication as project lead to team members, manager and customers regarding project status, issue identification and resolution, and analytical results. Serve as a measurement consultant to customers wanting to develop new report indicators and performance measurement tools to ensure alignment with organizational objectives, decision making processes, and need for information.
• Serve as project lead on large projects. Actively promotes a work environment that fosters self-directed teams. Takes initiative to fill gaps in leadership.
• Provide staff with training on methodologies and tools used within the department as requested.
• Serve as a department expert on the key departmental measurement, methodologies, deliverables, and appropriate interpretation and application of findings.
• Proactively identifies and addresses data quality issues when they arise and lead data quality teams to resolve data quality issues
• Know and recognize the critical decision points in a methodology and their impact on the outcome through triaging complex and ambiguous problems into executable deliverables
• Influence the development, documentation and improvement of core databases, including key definitions, element names, relational structure, as well as significant caveats.
• Leverage desktop analytical and report publishing tools, specifically members of the Microsoft Office Suite of products to improve efficiency and facilitate decision making
• Leverages CQI principles in their daily work to improve the accuracy, efficiency and actionability of results.
• Demonstrate HealthPartners Core Values: Passion, Integrity, Teamwork and Respect
• Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
• BA/BS in mathematics, statistics, health care management, business, economics, finance or related field.
• Six years of direct experience working on the development of complex and multiple data sets for decision support.
• Six years experience in health care and/or health research settings, working with health care operations data.
• Six years experience in management of complex projects in the health care field.
• Direct experience using personal computer spreadsheets, word processing, database software and current industry measurement tools.
• Experience in an analytical setting using technical/analytical skills on the extraction, layout and interpretation of complex data sets.
• Experience presenting results verbally and in written form to senior managers.
• Experience consulting and mentoring on the statistical and other CQI tools and techniques used in daily work.
• Ability to manage multiple, complex projects.
• Ability to coordinate projects from the concept stage to completion, leading cross functional teams.
• Developed consulting skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to communicate technical concepts for non-technical users and to lead intra-departmental teams to effective and actionable decisions.
• Well developed technical skills including knowledge of and ability to learn and understand complex programming and Relational Database Design.
• Ability to synthesize tabular and graphical displays of data with actionable findings and recommendations through use of PC applications.
• Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
• Understanding and willingness to use statistical and other CQI tools and techniques in daily work.
• Desktop publishing, graphing, and pivot table experience.
• Well established Business Objects, SQL and MS Access reporting experience.
• Post Graduate Degree/Doctoral Degree in mathematics, statistics, health care management, business, finance, health economies or other area providing analytical and technical skills.
• Good working knowledge with medical terminology, medical coding systems; ICD-9, CPT4, NDC, GPI.
• Gather and interpret requirements and translate them into deliverables which meet the needs of senior leadership in a highly dynamic environment.
• Maintain knowledge of cutting edge measurement and analysis methodologies and promote use within HealthPartners.
• Leverage Health care knowledge and technical expertise to server as liaison between business and technical areas on complex projects.
• Lead Projects within the department coordinating the efforts of multiple team members balancing priority and scope with time and resources available.
• Work will be reviewed by Team Manager or Project Lead prior to distribution of analysis and reports external to the department.